Thursday 10 December 2015

**TOP 2015** A Little Recap...

So, I think it's fair to say that 2015 has been an amazing year. For me personally, it has been BEYOND brilliant - I've written a book and managed to secure myself a two book deal with Carina UK (out in March folks, but don't worry, I'm sure I'll remind you), I've met some fantastically talented authors (Lee Child! Peter James! Really!), made some lovely, supportive and brilliant friends (you know who you are) and most importantly I've read some CRACKING books. As everyone else is posting their Top Ten of the year, I've done mine slightly differently and picked a book from each month that I thought was pretty bloody top notch (but please bear in mind this is when I READ them, not when they were published, so some might be a bit older and some might not be out just yet). So here goes;

JANUARY

No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary



A ridiculously good read, the next instalment of the Marnie Rome series was my pick for January. Unbelievably addictive, you can read my full review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/no-other-darkness-sarah-hilary.html

FEBRUARY

Disclaimer by Renee Knight


With an unusual premise that I'd never come across before, and despite the mixed reviews that it received, I LOVED Disclaimer. It has an excellent twist, characters that cause the reader to swing wildly between loving and hating them, and I found it utterly brilliant. You can read my full review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015_02_01_archive.html

MARCH

Soil by Jamie Kornegay

A Fargo-esque tale that had me hooked from the very beginning, Soil is a captivating read that had me spluttering with laughter in places, despite it's dark subject matter. Fine writing that gives a full on taste of the South. My full review is here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/soil-jamie-kornegay.html

APRIL

The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson


To say that I gushed about this book when I read it is a *slight* understatement. I loved it. Really, seriously loved it. It's written so cleverly, and there is such an intriguing storyline that this was the first book this year that I loved so much I bought multiple copies and gave them away to people, just so they could have the full experience of the "PUNCH YOU DIRECTLY IN THE MOUTH" plot twist. Every single one of those people got full on punched-in-them-mouth by that twist. Amazing. Review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-day-we-disappeared-lucy-robinson.html

MAY

Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson




Beautifully written, with captivating characters and set in an exquisite landscape that was COMPLETELY brought to life, Ragnar Jonasson is a serious talent.  It must be good, if I have bought myself another copy, made EVERYONE in my family buy a copy, downloaded the audio copy and also booked a trip to Iceland off of the back of it - I think that tell you how much I loved it, right? Full (gushy) review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/snowblind-ragnar-jonasson.html

JUNE

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman


To say that Ove stole my heart is an understatement. Crotchety and rude, feisty and grumpy Ove is one in a million. I didn't think at first that this would be my mind of read, but it ended up being one of those books that I went on to gush about (again), and I don't think anyone I know who has read it, hasn't fallen in love with Ove. Full review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/a-man-called-ove-my-grandmother-sends.html

JULY

Blood Moon/Huntress Moon/Cold Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff


i was lucky enough to be sent the "Moon" series by Alex in exchange for honest reviews. These completely surpassed my expectations and I lost an entire weekend as I devoured them one after the other. If you haven't read them yet, I strongly recommend that you do!

AUGUST

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara


August was a totally emotional month, which saw me complete my first (I say first, more like third) draft of my book and so I celebrated by reading this. WOW. A compelling, addictive, emotional read that ripped the heart out of me, I probably would have been happier (read: not bawling my eyes out) treating myself to a bottle of wine and a tube of Pringles, this was an absolutely stunning read that stayed with me long after I finished. Totes emosh. Full review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/a-little-life-hanya-yanagihara.html

SEPTEMBER

The Dark Inside by Rod Reynolds


Well, this book caused one of the gushiest reviews I've ever written. A fanastic plot line coupled with characters that are so real YOU CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THEM SPEAKING, Rod Reynolds is the kind of writer that makes me want to bash my head on the desk and wail, "WHYYYYY??? Why can't I do it like that??" A bloody marvellous read and I'm already jonesing for the next one. Full review here (warning: v gushy): http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/the-dark-inside-rod-reynolds.html

OCTOBER

In Bitter Chill by Sarah Ward

A lovely twisty, turny psychological thriller with some pretty horrid characters that slowly imprint on to the reader, so that I had no choice but to keep turning the pages, In Bitter Chill is a perfect winter read. With a style similar to Sophie Hannah, Sarah Ward has written a brilliant novel, another one on my growing list of books to push on to other people! Review here: http://reading-room-with-a-view.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/in-bitter-chill-sarah-ward.html

NOVEMBER

Girls On Fire by Robin Wasserman


Now, this isn't out till May 2016, so my review hasn't gone live BUT...I am ridiculously excited about this book. It is an EXCELLENT read, shocking, disturbing and downright addictive, I am convinced that everyone is going to be raving about this book in 6 months time. I know, because I am raving about it RIGHT NOW. Keep an eye out for the full review.

There are a few more contenders that I just couldn't squeeze in. 2015 has been an AMAZING year for books, so I have to give an honourable mention to the following:

I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh
Normal - Graeme Cameron
No Name Lane - Howard Linskey
Tenacity by James Law
Names of The Dead - Mark Leggett

These are also BRILLIANT reads, and ones that I would urge you to add to your TBR.

Heres to the end of a brilliantly bookish year!

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment