Tuesday 10 November 2015

Before It's Too Late - Jane Isaac

"I concentrated hard, desperately listening for something
familiar, the sound of life. I heard nothing. Just my own
breaths and the wind, whistling through branches above…
The thought made me shiver. I am buried alive.
Following an argument with her British boyfriend, Chinese
student Min Li is abducted whilst walking the dark streets of
picturesque Stratford-upon-Avon alone.
Trapped in a dark pit, Min is at the mercy of her captor.
Detective Inspector Will Jackman is tasked with solving the
case and in his search for answers discovers that the truth is
buried deeper than he ever expected.
But, as another student vanishes and Min grows ever weaker,
time is running out. Can Jackman track down the kidnapper,
before it’s too late?"


Jane Isaac's latest book has to be her best, in my opinion. Taking on the challenge of writing about the Chinese community in Britain must have taken a whole heap of research to get right, and although I know nothing about it, I have to say that Jane must have gotten things right as everything flows perfectly, drawing the reader into a fairly terrifying situation. 
Her characters are intricate and intriguing - there is a sense that something is not quite on the money about one particular character, and I was right in feeling slightly uneasy where that character was concerned. I really like the main detective - Will Jackman is not without his demons (and we all know that ALL good detectives have their demons!) but I liked him and found him believable.
A good strong plot line with some nice twists in it, I did enjoy Before It's Too Late very much indeed, probably the most of out all of Jane's books - it's her strongest storyline yet (and The Truth Will Out was bloody good) and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Before It's Too Late is out now and you can get it here:


**My thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the lovely review, Lisa. I'm delighted you enjoyed the book:)

    ReplyDelete