Thursday 27 August 2015

The Mistake I Made - Paula Daly

"We all think we know who we are.
What we’re capable of.
Roz is a single mother, a physiotherapist, a sister, a friend. She’s also desperate.
Her business has gone under, she’s crippled by debt and she’s just had to explain to her son why someone’s taken all their furniture away.
But now a stranger has made her an offer. For one night with her, he’ll pay enough to bring her back from the edge.
Roz has a choice to make."


I am a big fan of Paula Daly, after I discovered her first novel, Just what Kind of Mother Are You? on holiday in Cyprus one year. This, her third novel, doesn't fail to enthral the reader - just enough thriller to keep you on edge, with a theme running through that makes the reader think, "What would I do?".

The characters in this book are all very well-written. They are fleshed out and it's not difficult to imagine the kind of people they are - most of us work with a "Wayne" and everyone knows at least one couple like Scott and Nadine, however I did thin that the author could have gotten a lot darker with Scott's character than she did! He was a creep, and his attitude to things was appalling, but I did find him likeable and perhaps just not quite threatening enough for me.

I did find the whole theme of the novel uncomfortable - it did make me wonder what I would do if I was in Roz's situation, and I'm not sure I was entirely happy with my answer (what does that tell you!). In all, this was a very, very good read - one that I'll definitely be recommending.

The Mistake I Made is out on 27th August and you can get it here:


**My thanks to Ben Willis at Transworld for my ARC!**

1 comment:

  1. mum if u type in reading room with a view your the TOP choice :D well done mum

    ReplyDelete