Wednesday 29 July 2015

Techbitch - Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza

"Imogen Tate, editor-in-chief of Glossy magazine, is a legend in the fashion world. But when she returns from a sabbatical to find her twenty-six-year-old former assistant, Eve Morton, behind her desk, she realises times are changing.
Armed with a business degree, naked ambition and an iPhone, Eve announces she has been brought in to turn Imogen's beloved magazine into an app. With herself at the helm.
In this terrifying new world, Imogen is almost invisible. In place of her team of dedicated staff is a constantly evolving line of twenty-something bloggers at their desks day and night ('Only losers need sleep!'), amateur snaps instead of elegant photo shoots, and a URL address in place of Imogen's glossy pages.
But Imogen isn't ready to give up her hard-earned career without a fight. Where Eve has Twitter followers, Imogen has experience, talent and real relationships, and she's prepared to fight for the fashion world she knows and loves. Even if it means going to war with a ruthless Techbitch . . ."

This was a good read - but I have to say I found it hard to relate to either Imogen or Eve - Eve is young and dynamic and a complete techno-whizz (which I am not), Imogen is older, wiser and a complete techno-dunce, (which I also am not!), so I felt like I kind of came in the middle of these two characters - I can find my way round an iPhone, but I can't set up an entire website, (well, I probably could, but it would take me about 4 years). 

I did find the whole "bitch" side of the story far more entertaining than the "tech" side. We've all worked with someone who is a complete BITCH - someone who thinks they know it all, their ideas are the best and puts down every other person in the office - this I could relate to, and I found myself rooting for Imogen to take Eve out, and for Eve to get her comeuppance. 

Apart from a little too much "tech-speak" for me - there were parts in the beginning that, although I understood that it was necessary to the story to include them, I found myself glazing over a little, this was a good read, and Imogen is a brilliant character. 

Techbitch is out now and you can get it here:


**Many thanks to the publisher for my ARC**

No comments:

Post a Comment