Wednesday 15 July 2015

A Mothers Story - Amanda Prowse

"I deserve all this because I did the worst thing a woman can do. The very worst. 
Jessica's wedding was like a fairytale. Her dress strewn with crystals. Her dad made a tearful speech. Her husband Matthew declared himself the luckiest man alive. 
But when their beautiful baby girl is born, Jessica is gripped by panic. She can't tell anyone how she feels. Even when her life starts to spiral out of control... 
This is her story. A mother's story."


This was my first Amanda Prowse novel, and its not going to be my last - a little different to my usual read, I thought I would struggle to get into it but the story line pulled me in from the beginning. In the beginning I couldn't take to Jess's character at all - she comes across as fairly childish and almost a little selfish, but I did enjoy seeing her grow up through out the story and once she became pregnant I found her a lot more likeable. 

The characters are all well-written, and I liked the way Paz and Polly were supportive of Jessica all the way through the story, without giving away any spoilers. The subject was handled incredibly sensitively, and I think there are many aspects to the novel that many first-time mums can relate to, I know that there were certain times through Jess' pregnancy when I stopped and thought, "I know that feeling!".

The ending is heartbreaking and emotional, and not quite what I expected - a good thing, and I am impressed with the way Amanda Prowse has dealt with Jess' story. 

A Mother's Story is out now and you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothers-Story

**Many thanks to the publisher and the folks at LoveReading for my copy**

No comments:

Post a Comment