Monday 23 March 2015

The Edge of Dark - Pamela Hartshorne

"Jane believes in keeping her promises, but a deathbed vow sets her on a twisting path of deceit and joy that takes her from the dark secrets of Holmwood House in York to the sign of the golden lily in London's Mincing Lane. Getting what you want, Jane discovers, comes at a price. For the child that she longed for, the child she promised to love and to keep safe, turns out to be a darker spirit than she could ever have imagined.

Over four centuries later, Roz Acclam remembers nothing of the fire that killed her family - or of the brother who set it. Trying on a beautiful Elizabethan necklace found in the newly restored Holmwood House triggers disturbing memories of the past at last - but the past Roz remembers is not her own . . ."



What can I say? I LOVED this book. It gave me such a book hangover that I couldn't start another book until it was fully out of my system. I loved the whole time-slip part of the novel, and it was so well-written that it became completely believable. 

I liked Roz, and Jane, both were strong, well-written characters, and Jane's story was absolutely heartbreaking in places. Present day relationships are tied up very cleverly with past relationships, creating two parallel story lines that work amazingly well together. If you enjoy historical fiction, and have enjoyed previous authors such as Barbara Erskine and Deborah Harkness (although less of the supernatural in this novel!) then you will LOVE Pamela Hartshorne - I am definitely going to look for more of her previous works now I've discovered The Edge of Dark.

The Edge of Dark is out now and you can get it here: 


**I received a review copy from the publisher**


No comments:

Post a Comment